The mission of the Research Division of the USC Keck School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine is to create a vibrant, collaborative and sustainable environment for faculty, residents and students, in which solutions to pressing health questions can be thoughtfully developed, honestly critiqued and ultimately, rigorously tested.
Facts & Figures
- Marked increase in scholarly production (published abstracts and manuscripts), grant applications and external funding (see figures on next page).
- Exceeding $1,000,000 in grant funding annually for the past 3 years. Funding agencies include: NIH (AHRQ , NIDDK, NHLBI, NIOSH), National Institute of Justice, the Department of Defense, Naval Medical Research Center, CDC, Gilead Sciences, Massimo Corporation, California HIV/AIDS Research Program, the LA County Office of AIDS Programs and Policy and the SC CTSI (among others).
- Consistent recognition for excellence in research – Outstanding Research Project (2013 WRSAEM- Dr. Terp), Outstanding Faculty Research Project (2014 WRSAEM- Dr. Menchine), Honorable Mention: Outstanding Plenary Presentation (2015 WRSAEM – Dr. Arora).
- Creation of two fellowships and training of three fellows: two Research Fellows (Drs. Burner and Terp) both of whom were funded by the NIH and have been retained as DEM Faculty and one RED (research evaluation and dissemination) fellow (Dr. Knox).
- Hosting the 2013 Western Regional SAEM Conference.
Required Scholarly Project Mentor of the Year (Keck SOM – Dr. Arora).
- Creating National Network of research Toxicologists (Dr. Levine).
- Testimony before United States Congress on compensation strategies for injured workers. (2013 -Dr. Seabury).
- Development and Sale of Intellectual Property (TExT-MED, Drs. Arora/Menchine).
- Successfully competed for two-year KL-2 Scholar award, SC-CTSI (Dr. Burner)
- 2013 Emmy Award Winning Producer of Sports Science (Dr. Bir).
- Elected Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, (top 2 Percent of the Most Accomplished Leaders in the Field of Medical and Biological Engineering – Dr. Bir).
- Invited speaker at NIH (NIAID) conference on Diagnostic Product Development (2014- Dr. Terp).